May 25th and 26th, 2019
Martinez Academy of Arms is pleased to host our biennial Spanish Martial Arts Weekend. The theme this year will be on Tactics and Strategy. Our focus this year will be; how to assess an adversary regardless of the weapon or school of fence that he adheres to. Masters of all schools of fencing talk about “Judgment” (the manner, time, and measure used in attack or defense) in the art and science. By analyzing the elements of time and measure we will examine how to discern what technique (treta) is appropriate according to the weapon and situation.
- Understanding the trajectory of the attack, the alignment of the defense and the subsequent response to the attack.
- Understanding the angles created by your blade and adversary’s blade.
- Understanding how to utilize the degrees of the blade.
- Understanding when to cut and when to thrust.
- Reading the body language and psychology of the adversary.
- Dealing with an adversary who is bigger and stronger and/or faster.
- Understanding the dangers and consequences of close quarter combat.
- Understanding when and where to use the unarmed hand.
- Understanding and utilizing generalship (body evasions and displacements).
Equipment and Weapons Required for WorkshopTo participate in the whole workshop, students may choose from rapier, sabre, espadin (small-sword). Students must bring their own equipment and come prepared with jackets, 3-weapon fencing masks, gorgets, groin protectors for men, breast protection for women, gloves for both hands, and the weapon they will be training with.
- Maestro Ramon Martinez
- Maestro Jeannette Acosta -Martinez
- Maestro Jared Kirby
- Saturday and Sunday: Community Educational & Recreational Center (CERC) 180 9th Street Jersey City, NJ 07302
- Saturday: May 25th 11:00am - 6:00 pm
- Sunday: May 26th 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Cost and Deadlines
Workshop/Seminar Early Bird Registration Deadline March 10th, 2019 - $225
After March 10th - Workshop/Seminar Registation - $275
After April 24th no refunds will be made under any circumstances. Once registered you will receive a confirmation email. Participants must be 18 years old and over. All inquiries should be directed to Maestro Jeannette Acosta-Martinez: firstname.lastname@example.org.
AirBnB works well in this area. Here is how it works: sign up, build a short profile and contact the host of the place you want to stay with the dates of your travel. Payment is made to AirBnB, be advised that they charge a booking fee. However, you don't need to hand over cash or credit card numbers to your hosts. Look nearby in Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken, or Union City. www.airbnb.com and hotels at www.hotels.com